[Mailman-Users] Umbrella Lists & Subject Prefixes

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Thu Sep 20 11:05:55 CEST 2007

Mailman Ver: 2.1.5

Our company now exclusively uses Mailman for it's departmental mailing
lists and it's done through umbrella lists set up in the same way as the
org chart for the company.

I have managed to stop all sub-lists from re-archiving mails that have
been through higher lists by adding an X-No-Archive to mails as soon as
they're archived so that they only get archived once.

However, Subject Prefixes are giving me a little more hassle.

Currently, if a message goes through the lists "ListA, ListB and ListC"
on their way to a recipient, the subject line looks like this:

Subject: [ListC][ListB][ListA] $subject

This is getting to be an annoyance for many within the company and I
would like to get it to ONLY add a subject prefix if it's the first list
it's been through. So, if you send to ListA, you get [ListA] instead of
[ListC][ListB][ListA] and if you send to ListB you get [ListB] instead
of [ListC][ListB].

I have spent a lot of time looking for a solution to this one, but the
only solution I found is one from 1999 that might or might not work for
this version of Mailman, but my lack of Python skill is letting me down
in working it out.

Can anyone offer any help on this?

Roll-on Mailman v3!
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com