[Mailman-Users] hacking mailman.po

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 28 18:11:04 CEST 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>What are my options when I need to edit some text within
>/usr/local/mailman/messages/uk/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.pl?

I assume you mean /usr/local/mailman/messages/uk/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po.

>Is it enough to just hack the text or does it need to be re-built
>then? If so, how?

You need to rebuild the .mo file with Mailman's bin/msgfmt.py. You can
also use the standard GNU msgfmt, but it is fussier about it's input
and there are some things in some language .po files it complains
about.

>I just want to delete 3 lines:
>
>"            <p>You can now\n"
>"            <a href=\"%(optionsurl)s\">proceed to your membership login\n"
>"            page</a>."

I'm not sure what you mean here.

You cannot change anything at all, not even one character in the
'msgid' lines. If you do, i18n will not find the msgid (key) and will
thus just not translate the message.

You can change the translation (the 'msgstr' lines) anyway you want.
Whatever you put in 'msgstr' will be returned as the translation of
what's in 'msgid'.

Now, if what you mean is you want to change (or have changed) the
English text in Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py, and you now need to change the
translation, then yes, you need to change 'msgid' to match exactly the
new English text, and change 'msgstr' to the appropriate translation.