[Mailman-Users] Not all subscribers receive emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 1 18:29:28 CEST 2008

Matthias Rank wrote:

>Hi everybody.
>I have a problem with Mailman. When I send an email to a list this won't
>be any problem for very little lists up to a size of about 15
>subscribers. But if the list grows there are more and more people who
>don't receive emails and produce bounces like "testlist: a at b.de bounce
>score: 1.0" or "testlist: a at b.de has stale bounce info, resetting". The
>amazing is that there is no obvious system which persons do not receive
>emails, especially these are not always the same people and they are
>member of different email providers. Furthermore there are some (few)
>people who do hardly receive any email sent with Mailman although their
>email-accounts are okay.
>I'm using plesk, so any other mta than qmail won't work, if this might
>be the problem.
>I'm very confused and would be very glad about help.

Some MTA in the delivery chain is not accepting more that 15 (?)
recipients per message. Presumably, this is the qmail that Mailman is
talking to. If it is your qmail, you may be able to adjust it to
accept more recipients, or you can set

SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10

in mm_cfg.py to tell Mailman to never send to more than 10 recipients
per SMTP transaction.

Once you do this, I think the bulk of your bounces will go away. Then
you can investigate any remaining non-receipt problems.