[Mailman-Users] Attachments and blank messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 12 17:46:53 CEST 2008

Sciamano wrote:

>On 4/12/08, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>>  The above will remove everything which is not a text/plain part from
>>  the delivered messages.
>
>That's what I'm worried about, considering the fact that Excite
>appends HTML automatically to outgoing messages. Won't this make all
>messages from the Excite user be rejected?

Not if there is any text/plain part in the message. If the Excite
user's message is multipart/alternative with text/plain and text/html
alternative parts and then a text/html footer or whatever, accepting
only multipart and text/plain will pass the text/plain alternative and
remove the rest.

If the Excite user's message is HTML only with no text/plain parts, and
you want to accept it, then you need to add text/html to
pass_mime_types and set convert_html_to_plaintext to Yes if you want
it converted.

>>  If you want to allow HTML that isn't in a multipart/alternative part
>>  and convert it to plain text with lynx or whatever is set in mm_cfg.py
>>  as HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND, then add text/html to pass_mime_types
>>  and set convert_html_to_plaintext to Yes.
>
>I don't know how to do this. I have access to Mailman through a cPanel
>hosting account, I have no direct access to the server and its
>configuration files.

I'm not suggesting you do anything about this. I'm only trying to
explain how convert_html_to_plaintext works.

>>  If the above suggestions do not resolve the problem, we need to see a
>>  sample of each message (one 'office' and one 'excite'). The samples
>>  can be edited for privacy, but they need to be raw messages as sent by
>>  the user (not necessarily to the list) with the MIME structure and
>>  headers intact. I.e., they need to be messages as sent by the users,
>>  not as delivered by the list.
>
>Ok, I've set up the list as per your suggestions.
>I will keep you posted whether the problems have been solved this way.
>If not, I'll try to forward the original messages.
>Thanks for your help so far.

You're welcome, and do keep us posted.