[Mailman-Users] How many domain in one list of mailing list?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 1 04:18:15 CEST 2008

Maickel Pandie wrote:

>I have some question. in average, How many domain in one list of
>mailing list in your server? because refer to RFC 2821 message always
>be sent once for one domain

I'm not sure what you think RFC 2821 says, but in the case of Mailman,
messages are delivered to the MTA in SMTP transactions with as few as
1 and as many as SMTP_MAX_RCPTS (default 500) recipients per
transaction depending on things like VERP and personalization. Each of
these transactions will be considered a separate message by the MTA,
even if the contents are identical. Further, in the case of large
lists, even with large numbers of recipients per transaction, it is
not guaranteed that all recipients in a given domain will be in the
same transaction.