[Mailman-Users] line returns missing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 3 03:58:46 CEST 2008

Michael Welch wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote at 05:16 PM 8/2/2008:
>
>>Also, I don't know what you (Michael) mean by "display with no line
>>returns". If you mean that lines don't wrap to the width of the
>>display window in your MUA but have a horizontal scroll bar, that is
>>almost certainly an issue with your MUA.
>
>What I mean is that every line and paragraph is run together so that they are one long line, including the quoting of the previous message that did not have the problem. Even the footers that are added in by Mailman are suffering the problem. I have pasted an example below.

<snip>

>Since I moved the list to mailman, I have counted 3 out of the 64 messages that are reacting this way. They are not my messages, but those coming from 3 other members. I do not think I will ask every list member to remember to cc me separately so that I can get comparative email headers. So, I guess I am stuck with this.
>
>Here is the example paste I promised above:

Example snipped but understood.

I have seen this behavior from Hotmail (MS Live Mail), and in that case
at least, the problem is in the message as sent, but only in the
text/plain alternative of a multipart/alternative message. The
text/html part has proper line breaks. I've even reported it to
Hotmail, but had no success in getting them to recognize the problem.

So what I'm guessing is going on is that these users are posting
multipart/alternative messages to your list, and content filtering is
on with collapse_alternatives set to Yes, so only the (defective)
text/plain part is sent to the list.

When these same people mail directly to recipients, the recipient's
MUAs are set to render the text/html part so they never see the defect.

If I am correct, the problem is in the sender's MUA which is composing
messages with defective text/plain alternative parts.