[Mailman-Users] Problem with List Archive not Auto-Generating

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 11 04:10:46 CEST 2008

David Goldsmith wrote:

>The issue I have is that at least one list is not automatically updating
>its archive when new posts come in.  I have verified by sending posts to
>other lists that their archives are updated at that time.
>
>If I run "arch --wipe <list> <path to list mbox file>", the list archive
>is re-built successfully and includes the latest posts that have come
>in.  New posts to this list are being appended to the .mbox file.
>
>Here is the section of error messages that are showing up in the
>"logs/error" file:
>
>=====
>
>Aug 10 22:56:54 2008 (23548) Uncaught runner exception: invalid load
>key, '^_'.
>Aug 10 22:56:54 2008 (23548) Traceback (most recent call last):
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
>~    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
>~    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in
>_dispose
>~    more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
>_dopipeline
>~    sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py", line 109, in process
>~    Hold.hold_for_approval(mlist, msg, msgdata, Hold.NonMemberPost)
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py", line 218, in
>hold_for_approval
>~    id = mlist.HoldMessage(msg, reason, msgdata)
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 186, in HoldMessage
>~    self.__opendb()
>~  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 86, in __opendb
>~    self.__db = cPickle.load(fp)
>UnpicklingError: invalid load key, '^_'.
>
>Aug 10 22:56:54 2008 (23548) SHUNTING:
>1218409013.986546+40eb47837328b00ded0f971e044058c916c0e0c3
>
>=====

I don't think this is the "not archiving" issue. This is a post that
was going to be held for the moderator because it was from a
non-member and got shunted instead. It wouldn't have gotten to the
listname.mbox file.

>If I run "check_db --all", I get no error messages.  If I run "check_db
>- --all --verbose", the only errors I get are about missing config.db and
>config.db.last files, which I believe are not required.

Correct. Also, check_db only checks config.* files which aren't the
problem here.

>Is there an easy way to add some debugging statements to the
>Mailman/ListAdmin.py code to see what file (assuming it is one of the
>.pck ones) is generating the error message?
>
>Any suggestions as to how to determine what file might be corrupt and
>hopefully how to fix it?

UTSL

The corrupt file is lists/listname/request.pck - the file that holds
the outstanding moderator requests. You should also be seeing some
error if you go to the admindb interface for this list. If you just
remove the request.pck, that will fix this problem, but I doubt it
will fix the non-archiving problem. That sounds like a corrupt archive
database, but bin/arch --wipe should fix that.

BTW, the list that has the corrupt request.pck probably isn't the one
that's not archiving. Do

bin/show_qfiles
qfiles/shunt/1218409013.986546+40eb47837328b00ded0f971e044058c916c0e0c3.pck

to see the shunted post which should indicate (in To:) what list it's
for. If it's To: more than one list, use bin/dumpdb instead to see the
listname in the metadata.

There may be several of these shunted posts. After you remove the bad
request.pck, you can run bin/unshunt to reprocess them. Before running
unshunt it is always a good idea to look at all the files in
qfiles/shunt to make sure they are all current and relevant and remove
the ones that aren't.

Anyway, after you take care of all this, if you still have the archive
issue, check the error log for errors relating to that (from
ArchRunner) and post a traceback if you can't figure it out (it may be
a permissions issue).