[Mailman-Users] changing Mailman layout

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 18 19:56:33 CEST 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>All this is true and I well realize that. The example with css is
>simple. No problem. I actually have a problem with a javascript file
>that the layoput designer has used. I am suspecting it won't display
>because I have to use a complete URL instead of a relative one as often
>is a case with javascripts. Maybe the same principle applies. If anyone
>knows, I'd be happy if you drop me a line!

Any relative reference to anything on a page that is served by a
Mailman CGI is going to be relative to that CGI and will re-invoke the
CGI. Whether or not it works depends on the context:

For example, if there were a tag like <a href="listname"> on the page
served by <http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/> (there isn't,
but), that would work because it is equivalent to
<http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/listname> which is a URL that
does the expected thing. Although, even that wouldn't work if the URL
that invoked the page didn't end with '/'.

OTOH, a reference to "some/javascript" is not going to work because
<http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/some/javascript> is not going
to serve the javascript; it's going to attempt to serve the listinfo
page for the list named "some".