[Mailman-Users] Preventing accidental resubscription

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 24 18:14:54 CEST 2008

Darrell Burkey wrote:

>I've had a client ask me how they can keep track of who unsubscribes
>from their lists so that they don't accidentally resubscribe the same
>address at some later point.

If it were my client, I would tell them that I don't support spammers
and that before adding anyone to their list, they should have a
current request from the person to be on the list, and even then maybe
just send an invitation.

In other words, when the user complains to her ISP that she's getting
spam from the list, and the ISP blocks my server as the source of the
spam, I want to be able to prove to the ISP that the user asked to be
on the list.

>Unless anyone has any better advice I'm consider writinging a hack to
>copy unsubscribe addresses to a file that can be checked before
>subscribing someone.

The information is all in Mailman's subscribe log. It should be pretty
easy to maintain a list of "opt outs" from that.