[Mailman-Users] Newbie Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 29 05:19:04 CEST 2008

Colin Robinson wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm looking to create some kind of online mailing list for
> my office. I am a self taught it person so my knowledge is some what
> limited. I am capable of learning some simple programs on my own
> (FrontPage, web expressions, Photoshop...) but really don't know the
> hard core stuff. That being said is this program the type of thing I
> would stand a chance at learning on my own knowing that I know
> nothing about Python?

In order to install Mailman, you need a computer with both a mail server
and a web server, and your mail server needs to be properly configured
in order for many ISPs to accept your mail (although if it's all intra
office, this may not be an issue). In addition, some experience with
*nix system administration and software installation is probably required.

Unless I misunderstand your skill set and environment, if you need the
kinds of capabilities Mailman provides, you should consider a hosted
service. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/Hg>.