[Mailman-Users] changing message number

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 30 22:24:19 CEST 2008

Mustafa Akgul wrote:

>I will move  a few lists  to mailman,  from ecartis.
>I want to retain  message numbers, and continue current
>sequence. So  I need to  start message number  from a
>non-zero number.
>
>How can I do that ?
>
>I am new to mailman. I can  undump,  config.pck, I can chnage
>post-id.  I do not know, how to put that  fiile in pck  format.
>
>Secondly, I manage to change  post-id,  will it break anything
>else ?

You can change post_id (not post-id). It won't break anything.

Two ways to set post_id are bin/withlist and bin/config_list. With
either method, you need to set post_id to a floating point value.
E.g., if you want to set it to 237, you need to set it to 237.0. This
can be done by putting the single line

mlist.post_id = 237.0

in a file and running

bin/config_list -i /path/to/file listname

You can also set post_id in an interactive withlist session. E.g., for
a list named test

$ bin/withlist -l test
The variable `m' is the test MailList instance
>>> m.post_id
0.0
>>> m.post_id = 237.0
>>> m.post_id
237.0
>>> m.Save()

Unlocking (but not saving) list: test
Finalizing
$

The last input following the m.Save() input is a control-D (end of
file).