[Mailman-Users] Strange error with Mailman 2.1.9

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 1 18:01:31 CET 2008

Richard Hartmann wrote:

>Further info:
>
>Restarting mailman gives me
>
># /etc/init.d/mailman restart
>Shutting down mailman
>
>                                                      done
>rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/mailman/locks/*': No such file or directory
>Starting mailmanrm: cannot remove `/var/lib/mailman/locks/*': No such
>file or directory
> # ls -l /var/lib/mailman/locks/
>total 8
>-rw-rw-r--  2 mailman mailman 49 Dec  2  2008 master-qrunner
>-rw-rw-r--  2 mailman mailman 49 Dec  2  2008 master-qrunner.plesk1.6444
>#

First of all, your /etc/init.d/mailman script come from plesk or some
other packager. Our suggested script doesn't attempt to remove lock
files.

Second, I'm guessing, but if the rm /var/lib/mailman/locks/* comes
after "mailmanctl stop" it is normal that there are no locks, although
your ls seems to show a master lock which may be stale. Is there a pid
6444 running?

Still guessing, but perhaps your script does something like

mailmanctl stop
rm /var/lib/mailman/locks/*
rm /var/lib/mailman/locks/*
mailmanctl start

in order to remove all locks after stoping and before starting. Then
tha absence of locks would be normal, and the locks you see from 'ls'
are the ones just created when Mailman started.

Finally, if "rm /var/lib/mailman/locks/*" says "cannot remove
`/var/lib/mailman/locks/*': No such file or directory" when there are
files, this is not a Mailman question.

>I tried stopping mailman, moving the messages to shunt/, starting Mailman again
>and then running bin/unshunt, but that does not work, either. Neither does this
>produce any new log output.

You indicated files named *.pck.tmp in /in/

These won't be processed by unshunt. If you want to reprocess them,
just leave them in the /in/ queue and remove the .tmp from the name.
Then IncomingRunner will process them.  However, since the write to
flush and sync the file failed, the file may be incomplete. You should
dump the file with "bin/dumpdb -p" to make sure it contains both a
message and a metadata object before renaming it.

Do not unshunt files that weren't shunted to begin with.