[Mailman-Users] Lapsed domain name

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Thu Dec 4 05:41:29 CET 2008

On 12/03/2008 12:35 PM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> There are a couple of techy ways you could do this:
>
> - Point the hosts file at the relevant IP address of the web server
> you use to manage the domain/Mailman setup, then point a web browser
> at it.  It should work locally.
>
> - If you have a local DNS server, and you know the authoritative DNS
> servers provided by the original web host, create a stub zone with
> the relevant NS records pointing to those nameservers.  When a client
> using that nameserver tries to resolve the relevant domain name, the
> DNS resolver should look up and return the records from the old
> webhost.

Hat's off to you Andrew.  I was going to recommend the exact same thing.
  I just wanted to see if any one else thought of this.

I'll give a little more detail on how to do this so it is easier for the OP.

On a Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3/2k8/Vista system, you need to edit the "hosts"
file, which should be located in the %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc
directory (%SystemRoot% usually evaluates to C:\Windows or C:\WinNT
depending on version).  You need to add a new line any where in the file
that has the IP address and a few spaces and the domain name (with or
with out the www.).  Close your web browser that you want to use, flush
your DNS ("ipconfig /flushdns" at a command prompt, or just reboot),
re-open your web browser and try the domain name.  To remove the
listing, just delete the line from the hosts file and re-flush things.

On a unix system, you will need root (or comparable) access to edit the
/etc/hosts file, with the same type of routine as above.  I don't know a
convenient way to flush DNS on a unix box, so just try closing and
re-opening your web browser.

On a Mac... Sorry, I don't know on a Mac.  OS X (any release) should be
similar to unix (seeing as how it is a BSD and all).  As for Classic OS
(1-9) I have *NO* clue.

If any one wants an explanation as to why or how this works, just ask.

Grant. . . .