[Mailman-Users] add admins and moderators

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 6 02:12:33 CET 2008

faisal anif wrote:

>I need to add my email address as a server owner to administrate and moderate the lists to make sure no illegal actions are taken..

You don't need to add your address as owner or moderator in order to
administer a list. You only need to add your address to 'owner' if you
want to receive notices sent by mailman and others to the owner.

>is there a SSH command line that I can use to add my email as moderator or administrator instead of logging into the web interface of each list and adding it manually?

Presumably you already have set a Mailman site password since how else
would you log in to the web interface of each list? So I guess you
really do want to add your address as an owner of each list

>if SSH is applicable I can make a script to do it automatically..

See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-December/047993.html>
for a way to add an owner to a list via the command line. To do it for
all lists, you could use a script like

#! /bin/sh
cd /mailman/installation/directory
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare` ; do
bin/config_list -i /path/to/file $list
done

Where /path/to/file is the path to the input prepared according to the
above referenced post.

As Brad notes, you can also do this with a withlist script and use
withlist's --all option to process all lists, but the withlist script
you'd need would be a bit more complex than the input file to
config_list which could be as simple as the single line

mlist.owner.append('faisalanif at hotmail.com')