[Mailman-Users] Subscribing other lists to a list.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sat Dec 6 04:06:40 CET 2008

I just helped to manage a migration from Ecartis to Mailman for my day
job.

We have a periodic -announce list that we send out on to release new
software versions.  What I'm finding is we cannot duplicate the same
behavior we have under Ecartis.

Ecartis had a simple "import" option, where list B could be a subset of
list A, but list A could also contain normal users.

I've found this post http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/solutions/umbrella.html
and it explains things pretty well, but neither option would really work
well for us.

Umbrella lists don't work because they say "this was sent to the umbrella
list" in the footers (which are suppressable) but also in the TO: header
(or the cc header).  We could send to: a fake address, with a cc: to a
fake address, but this would set off spam filters, and we're staunchly
anti-spam.

On the other hand, Parent lists don't work, for the same reason -- there
are people who sign up for -announce and -discuss and want to filter them
separately, or who don't want the noise of -discuss and want to get it as
a digest.

Right now, the easiest (and dumbest) answer is "just make announcements to
all three lists".  Ecartis stripped duplicates there -- if you were on
list a, I don't believe list b was imported.

What I'd like to know if is possible within mailman is the following:

a) A per-user flag that makes a user admin-control ONLY.  No auto-bounce
handling, no unsubscribe options, no password reminders...nothing.
Essentially, this would move the "umbrella" setting from a global to a
single address.  This would solve about half the problem (the headers
would still need to be fixed, mainly the to: header).

But it's more than I have right now.

-Dan Mahoney