[Mailman-Users] Different IPs for each list?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Sun Dec 14 23:23:38 CET 2008

On 12/14/2008 01:39 AM, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> That said: I have a machine with a half dozen lists on it, running on
> 1 IP.  Id like to keep the same "info" page that lists all the
> various lists, but have each one (at smtp level, I dont care where
> the archives and user pages are) communicating on a different IP for
> traffic engineering purposes (rather than using separate
> instantiations on separate IPS).
>
> Is this possible?

(Note:  This may very well be an "open mouth, insert foot" reply, but
I'll do it any way.)

It is my (mis)understanding that Mailman sends email to the local MTA
which then sends the emails on out to the world its self, not Mailman.
(Though this may be a configuration option, hence the phrase above.)

Presuming that my (mis)understanding is correct...  This is more of an
MTA option rather than a Mailman option.  The closest that I can think
of for Mailman would be to have each list use a different MTA (bound to
different IPs).  That way each MTA (thus lists using said MTA) would
send it's messages out from its own IP.

Can someone else please confirm or correct me on how Mailman is
operating with regards to the MTA?

What MTA are you using?  If it's Sendmail I might be able to help you
get it to behave like you are wanting.

Grant. . . .