[Mailman-Users] Remove from list quick link

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 16 00:42:03 CET 2008

Blaine Lang wrote:

>I was reading that v2.11 has the ability to support a quick link that
>could be included in the list footer. I want to add a link to the list
>footer so that list members upon receiving a list submission can always
>remove themselves from the list easily by using the 'remove from list'
>link in the message footer.
>
>I can edit the footer but what is the format to create such a link in
>the message footer?

Actually Mailman prior to 2.1.11 has this ability too. The following
requirements apply regardless of version:

1) The list must be personalized
2) It doesn't work for digests because digests aren't personalized
3) If you want true, one-click unsubscribe, you have to expose the
user's list password in plain text in every message to the user.

For true one-click unsubscribe, put the following in msg_footer along
with whatever else you want there:

Remove me from this list:
 %(user_optionsurl)s?unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1&password=%(user_password)s

If you don't want to include the password, you could use

 %(user_optionsurl)s?login-unsub=1

to generate the URL, but this URL takes you to the member options login
page with the note at the top "The confirmation email has been sent."
and the user isn't actually unsubscribed until the request is
confirmed.

Again, for these to work, 'personalize' must be set to 'Yes' or 'Full
Personalization' on the Non-digest options page. If that setting isn't
on the page, the server admin needs to put

OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py to enable it.