[Mailman-Users] connect to exchange server

Jeanne Ilchuk ilchuk at wrlc.org
Thu Dec 18 13:51:15 CET 2008

I was looking thru the archives and found this note from 2004 (below) which gave me the impression that it did not work with exchange.  That being said, here are more of my details.
I'm installing on a Solaris sparc (v10), which has a functioning Sendmail on it.  I just found "Integrating Mailman with Sendmail" in the mailman docs, so I'm working with that.  I ran the Makefile with these parms-
$ ./configure --with-mail-gid=25 --with-cgi-gid=nobody --with-python=/usr/bin/
python --with-mailhost=mail --with-urlhost=mailman

Do I need to run again with cgi-gid=mailnull ?  or can I just chgrp?
--with-mailhost=mail is the hostname our exchange server

On the mailman server, I changed the mailhost to the hostname of the sun server where I installed mailman, then set up the apache server with a dedicated IP and dns entry mailman.

I'm kind of struggling here because I've been using ecartis MLM on an old FreeBSD server that IT is eliminating.   At the same time we moved our mail from the freebsd server (postfix) to MS Exchange.  I don't have a clue how the exchange server works.  I'm accessing my own email using the WOA Light version, which would have to be imap with SMTP [I thought].  Is exchange a pop3 server ?

Thanks for all the speedy replies.  I'll be back!  -- Back to the drawing board -- suggestions welcome.

jeanne

At 3:22 AM -0400 2004-07-23, Luke Matthews wrote:
>  I couldn't seem to find anything on the site, but is it possible to
>  install Mailman on a Linux box running RedHat 9 and use a MS Exchange
>  Server for the mail server?
 I don't think that would work.  But if you're installing a Linux
box anyway, why not also install an MTA on it (sendmail, postfix,
exim, whatever)?  At that point, it doesn't really matter what mail
server the recipients use.