[Mailman-Users] Spam to list-owner

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Fri Dec 19 01:15:18 CET 2008

Greets,

I run a couple software support mailing lists on a site that's been around for
a decade or so.  I'm the only admin, and an avalanche of spam crashes down on
me every day.

Only subscribers are allowed to post and non-subscriber post attempts are
silently discarded, which allows me to avoid the burden of moderating spam
addressed to the list.  But it's not enough, because I get tons of spam going
to the list-owner addresses.

Ideally, I'd like to simply turn off the list-owner addresses and get internal
notifications (such as oversize moderation messages) sent to a private
address.  However, I understand that it is not possible to configure Mailman
that way.

Therefore, I would like to know the easiest way to accomplish these two goals:

1) Eliminate any public reference to the list-owner address, so that there is
   no implied offer of support.  There's the MM-Mailman-Footer for the three
   public html pages, which I can hand-edit.  I think that does it, right?
2) Create a filter for messages sent to list-owner that only passes mail
   generated by Mailman itself.

In a perfect world, I would offer a higher level of support, but my users are
sophisticated enough to handle a certain amount of troubleshooting, and my
contact information isn't hard for humans to discover.  Indeed, those very
users would *want* me to lighten my administrative burden so that I can spend
more time adding features and fixing bugs.

Best,

Marvin Humphrey