[Mailman-Users] Questions About 2.1.9 to 2.1.11 Upgrade

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Fri Dec 19 21:28:48 CET 2008

When I upgraded my test Ubuntu system from Mailman 2.1.9 to 2.1.11
I saw messages for each list:

     Updating mailing list: mailman
     Updating the held requests database.
     - updating old private mbox file
	 looks like you have a really recent CVS installation...
	 you're either one brave soul, or you already ran me
     - updating old public mbox file
	 looks like you have a really recent CVS installation...
	 you're either one brave soul, or you already ran me
     Fixing language templates: mailman

What is updated in the "private mbox file" and the "public mbox file"?
I need to know if I need to backup the

     /var/lib/mailman/archives

directory before I convert.  I would prefer not to, as the archives
are VERY large.

I assume that if something drastic goes wrong with the update, then
the only recourse is to restore all of the Mailman directories from
a tar backup taken just before the conversion.  I assume that just
re-installing the Mailman 2.1.9 package (that I am currently running)
over the 2.1.11 package will not work.  Note that these packages are
ones I built from the SourceForge source, not the Ubuntu/Debian
packages.  Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov