[Mailman-Users] Spam to list-owner

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Dec 22 03:25:40 CET 2008

Lindsay Haisley writes:
 > On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 19:35 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > >  > Courier doesn't need milters.  Maildrop can be run in what's called
 > >  > "embedded mode" which is effectively the same thing.
 > > x`
 > > No, it's not the same, not for the purpose of deciding whether
 > > *Courier* needs milters.
 >
 > A "milter" is just an MTA component/plugin that reflects user-space
 > (outside the MTA) decisions on spam/viruses back to the SMTP dialog so
 > that a receiving server can reject an email for cause without generating
 > a backscatter email to the envelope sender.  Maildrop in embedded mode
 > _is_ a milter

That's not what you wrote above; you wrote "effectively" which can
mean *anything*, and usually carries connotations of "for the present
purpose".  You've made it quite plain that your "present purpose" is
different from those of most of the folks trying to advise you.

I'm finding it really hard to understand what you are trying to say
throughout this thread, because you don't answer questions as phrased,
but rather use your own wording which you know is equivalent
(presumably), but the rest of us have to assume you don't know what
you're talking about because you don't use the accepted jargon.

I'm tired of fighting the impedence mismatch, and will stop doing so,
effective immediately.