[Mailman-Users] The economics of spam

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Dec 23 19:15:43 CET 2008

> From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com>
>
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 10:15 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>>>
>>> I was intrigued by your comments on the economics of spam...
>>
>> This doesn't directly answer your question (i.e., it's even further
>> OT), but I found it interesting.
>> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7719281.stm>
>
> Actually, I've been reading the source paper about which this article
> was written.  It's online as a PDF at:
>
> http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/pubs/networking/2008-ccs-spamalytics.pdf

I would willingly pay a hundredth of a cent (or so) per email sent if
it would reduce spam to near-zero.

According to this study, $0.0001 per email sent would more than wipe
out the spammers' profit, but sending legit email to every one of my
couple-dozen Mailman lists would only cost about a dime. I wouldn't
even bother to pass that cost on to my customers.

:::: Every time I see an adult on a  bicycle, I no longer despair for
the human race. - H.G. Wells ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::