[Mailman-Users] help files

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Dec 30 04:46:26 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 07:29:59PM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> on 12/29/08 5:54 PM, Mark Sapiro said:
>
> >I am aware the the python.org documentation URLs have all changed.
> >Unfortunately, it's not a simple mapping. E.g., the above becomes
> ><http://www.python.org/doc/current/library/re.html#regular-expression-syntax>
> >or equivalently
> ><http://docs.python.org/library/re.html#regular-expression-syntax>.
>
> Part of the problem is that the people who maintain the official
> python.org documentation for this information feel that Mailman should
> not be referencing their documentation, instead we should have our own
> internal version of the same information.

I'd say "why reinvent the wheel"...

> So, they don't give a flying flip about what happens to the Mailman
> community when they change their documentation or their URLs.

Although 10years old, I still think http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
is a well-put document.

> Since the release engineer for the next major version of Python is going
> to be mentored by Barry Warsaw for that role, perhaps we can get some
> sympathy there and hopefully get a bit more cooperation on things like this.

Make sense to me.

If not/it doesn't happen, perhaps a workaround could be to reference
python.org docs via a list.org/pythonref/foo Redirect or similar? -- bit
more maint, but could be scripted.

--
A bureaucrat's idea of cleaning up his files is
to make a copy of everything before he destroys it