[Mailman-Users] Discovering why emails are bouncing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 2 03:45:27 CET 2008

Todd Gaiser wrote:

>I recently had a large number of subscribers on one of my lists start bouncing.  I see their scores going up, but I can't figure out how to capture the bounce messages to discover the reason.

There are two kinds of bounces. Bounces that occur because of problems
in delivery from Mailman to your outgoing MTA are logged in Mailman's
smtp-failure log. More likely, you are seeing bounce DSNs from your or
a foreign MTA.

In this case, as long as bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes, when
the score reaches the threshold, you will receive a notice which
includes the bounce DSN.

If that is not soon enough, you have a couple of options.

Bounces are queued in the file data/bounce-events-ppppp.pck (where
ppppp is the PID of BounceRunner) and processed once every 15 minutes
(or other time set in mm_cfg.py via REGISTER_BOUNCES_EVERY), so if you
look shortly after a post is sent, you may be able to do

  bin/dumpdb data/bounce-events-ppppp.pck

and see some queued bounce messages.

The other option is to modify the listname-bounces alias or whatever
your MTA uses to deliver the bounce to Mailman so that the bounces are
either sent to you as well or instead.