[Mailman-Users] Allowing posting to list "A" by members of list "B"?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 20 02:36:18 CET 2008

Beau James wrote:

>We sometimes have related but distinct mailing lists, e.g. one
>for coaches and one for referees in the same league.  Both lists
>are moderated.
>
>We'd like to turn on the flag to allow postings (still moderated)
>only by members of the list.  For the usual reason: SPAMmers
>are overwhelming the volunteer list moderators.
>
>At the same time, we'd like to allow member of the related list
>still to be able to post (postings still to be moderated).  That
>is, we'd like the members of list "A" to be allowed to post to
>list "B", without registering as members of list "B".

There is a patch at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>
which is included in the Mailman 2.1.10 base. This enables putting
list B in one of list A's *_these_nonmembers via the syntax @listb.

With Mailman 2.1.10 or with the patch in prior versions, you can put
@listb in lista's hold_these_nonmembers to accomplish what you want.

Note that you don't want to use accept_these_nonmembers, as that will
bypass moderation.

<snip>
>(Assuming both the mailing list memberships and the allowed
>posters lists are stored in files, one could create a script
>and cron job to periodically sync/merge the membership of list
>"A" into the "allowed posters" of list "B".  Unfortunately, we
>do not have that kind of shell access to the our list server.)
>
>Any hints on how one might best accomplish this?

It's as simple as installing the patch or upgrading to Mailman 2.1.10
(currently in beta with a release candidate due soon). All you need to
do is convince your provider to do it.<wink>