[Mailman-Users] Migrating and Upgrading

Dave Warchol Warchol at harthosp.org
Wed Jan 2 21:16:05 CET 2008

I need to migrate a very old Red Hat (7.3) mailman 2.0.13 (postfix MTA 1.1.7) installation to a SuSE SLES 10 box running mailman 2.1.7, postfix 2.2.9.  I have the new box working in "test mode", temporary name/IP.  My goal is to keep the SLES installation "turn key" using the standard packages that come with the distro.  The question is what is the best/easiest method to migrate the lists from the old to the new.

One method I have considered would be "brute force" (a little labor intensive, a little heavier on the downtime, but doable):
- dumping the metadata from the old lists (configuration, members, etc.)
- bring the old server down
- bring the new server up with the same name/IP
- manually create the new lists
- import the members for each list
The only unknown is how to move the archives.

Thanks very much,
Dave