[Mailman-Users] Hint: mmdsr.sh and Mac OS X Leopard

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Jan 7 00:10:28 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 8:25 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> On 1/3/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> I will change this to make the relevant sort
>>
>>  $SORT -n $SORT_FIELD
>>
>> with an appropriate definition of SORT_FIELD in the front with the
>> other definitions.
>
> That should work.  I'll also make that change on my official version
> of the code on the server for python.org.

Isn't this the kind of thing that can be dealt with in the configure
script?  I don't know the autoconf tools, but I thought that this was
the sort of problem it was designed to address.

And I'd like to give another warning about standard Unix tools on OS
X.  You can very easily end up with out of date man pages.  When a
system is upgraded (using an "upgrade install" instead of a "clean" or
"archive" install) you will get new compressed man pages.  For
example, /usr/share/man/man1/sort.1.gz  But if you already have /usr/
share/man/man1/sort.1 you will end up with both files.  man will not
detect that the .1 file is older than the .1.gz file.  As a result

     man sort

may give you the man page for a version of sort that is no longer on
your system.  I'd discovered this a few months ago (I'd long known
that many man pages didn't correspond to what I was using, but I
hadn't understood why), so when this happened with sort.1 as I read
this discussion, I at least knew what was happening.  My old sort.1
page was from August 2005.

-j