[Mailman-Users] bots subscribing to lists via web forms to avoidmember-only restrictions

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Jan 7 00:21:23 CET 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> I've never seen it on lists with subscribe_policy of either Confirm or
> Approve. I don't allow open subscribe.

Years ago (2000?) I did see this happen with one or twice with lists
with a Confirm policy.  These were majordomo lists, but still the
email confirmation was required.  I do not know whether the spammer
automated the confirmation process.

What I have seen more often (though still rarely) is spammers forging
addresses of list members.  Again, that was also a long time ago and I
don't know whether those were just coincidences (address would have
been harvest near each other and spammers then liked to forge From
addresses that were possibly associated with recipients) or really
targeting the list.

On the whole, I have found these things so rare that it hasn't been a
real problem.  However, in principle lists could easily be targeted,
so it is worth considering captchas.

Cheers,

-j