[Mailman-Users] bots subscribing to lists via web forms to avoidmember-only restrictions

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jan 7 00:45:03 CET 2008

On 1/6/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>>  Anyone else hit by this practice much?
>
>  I've never seen it on lists with subscribe_policy of either Confirm or
>  Approve. I don't allow open subscribe.

I've seen spammers (or bots) get subscribed to lists and try to spam,
then unsubscribe.  However, pretty much all the lists I run these
days do default moderation for new subscribers, so that I can
manually catch these sorts of things before I turn off their
"moderation" bit.

This applies to most of the mailman-* mailing lists on python.org, as
well as others elsewhere.

I also tend to run lists where subscription has to be approved by the
list owner.