[Mailman-Users] Variables in welcome message are not replaced

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 7 05:20:36 CET 2008

Stefan Burkard wrote:

> When I subscribe a user from my address by using the email-command
>with the optional "address=<user-address>", the user receives the
>confirmation-message without problems. BUT if the user replies to the
>message (to confirm), he gets a welcome-message with the
>variable-codes instead of the real values.
>
>When the user himself does the same procedure (obviously without the
>address= option, that is not needed in this case), the welcome-message
>looks just fine.

I have looked at the way the welcome message is generated, at least in
our 2.1.5 distribution, and I don't see any way in which the
generation of the welcome message from the template is different
depending on whether the subscribed address comes from address= or
From:. In fact, the difference between these two modes is only very
early in the subscribe process before the confirmation is even sent to
the user. Once the confirmation is received, there is no difference in
how it is processed and the welcome message sent.

If you are sure that the address= is the only thing that is different,
this can't be explained by anything in our code as far as I can see.