[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't 'start' - but is working?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 7 23:53:51 CET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:

>I'm trying to be patient, but NO ONE has a clue or idea where I might
>look to solve this?

As Brad says, we don't.

Here is an example of the init.d/mailman script that we distribute
after 'configure'.

#!/bin/sh
#
# mailman    This shell script starts and stops GNU Mailman.
#
# Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA.
#
# Copy this file to /etc/init.d/ (or /etc/rc.d/init.d/ depending on
# your system) and activate it as such:
#
# On Debian, type "update-rc.d mailman defaults"
# On RedHat, and derivatives, install with "chkconfig --add mailman"
#
# chkconfig: 2345 98 12
#              manages electronic mail discussion groups.  For more \
#              on GNU Mailman see http://www.list.org
# processname: mailmanctl
# config: /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
# pidfile: /usr/local/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid

PYTHON=/usr/bin/python
MAILMANHOME=/usr/local/mailman
MAILMANCTL=$MAILMANHOME/bin/mailmanctl

case "$1" in
'start')
    #rm -f $MAILMANHOME/locks/*
    $PYTHON $MAILMANCTL -s -q start
    ;;

'stop')
    $PYTHON $MAILMANCTL -q stop
    ;;

'restart')
    $PYTHON $MAILMANCTL -q restart
    ;;

esac
exit 0

Yours has relative paths, but you said you tried absolute paths too.
Your's also does su - mailman which is not needed (except for setting
the current directory to mailman's home for the relative paths) as
mailmanctl is designed to be run by root. There are other differences,
but I don't see why yours won't start mailman if the essentially
identical mailmanctl command typed by hand will.