[Mailman-Users] Queue delays

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 8 02:31:27 CET 2008

Grigory Batalov wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:59:10 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>

>> Why are there 121
>> messages being retried. What is in Mailman's smtp-failure log?
>
>  It is full of errors:
>
>Jan 08 01:55:00 2008 (13316) All recipients refused: {'mak at rsmu.ru': (450, '4.1.2 <mak at rsmu.ru>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found')}, msgid: <20080107110706.GC32553 at nevod.ru>
>Jan 08 01:55:00 2008 (13316) delivery to mak at rsmu.ru failed with code 450: 4.1.2 <mak at rsmu.ru>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

You have two major, serious problems in your MTA configuration. First,
it is doing DNS lookups on recipients at SMTP time. Apparently, from
your followup post, when the recipient domain is invalid, it take 30
seconds for this lookup to time out.

The second problem is when the domain is invalid, the MTA returns a 450
(retryable error) instead of a 550 which would record a bounce.

See some of the FAQs returned by
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?query=performance+mta&querytype=allkeywords&casefold=yes&req=search>
for more info.

>  with several different emails and different message-ids.
>  About 42000 lines per day.
>
>> What does Mailman's smtp log look like? Does it show evidence of
>> 'continuous processing'?
>
>  Well, there are messages like this:
>
>Jan 08 01:55:11 2008 (12250) <47815B62.3090806 at gmail.com> smtp to sisyphus for 1 recips, completed in 30.005 seconds
>
>  About 21000 posts per day, every took 30 seconds "for 1 recips".
>  Should they address more recipients or take less time?
>
>> >There are 8 Incoming, 8 Outgoing, 4 Retry and 4 Bounce qrunners on the server.
>>

>> Why so many runners? Do you really need that much parallelism?
>
>  I thought they would process queue faster.

Once you resolve your MTA issues, I think you'll find that one slice
per queue will be adequate.