[Mailman-Users] Queue delays

Grigory Batalov bga at altlinux.org
Tue Jan 8 03:05:07 CET 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:31:27 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> >> Why are there 121
> >> messages being retried. What is in Mailman's smtp-failure log?
> >
> >  It is full of errors:
> >
> >Jan 08 01:55:00 2008 (13316) All recipients refused: {'mak at rsmu.ru': (450, '4.1.2 <mak at rsmu.ru>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found')}, msgid: <20080107110706.GC32553 at nevod.ru>
> >Jan 08 01:55:00 2008 (13316) delivery to mak at rsmu.ru failed with code 450: 4.1.2 <mak at rsmu.ru>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
>
> You have two major, serious problems in your MTA configuration. First,
> it is doing DNS lookups on recipients at SMTP time. Apparently, from
> your followup post, when the recipient domain is invalid, it take 30
> seconds for this lookup to time out.

  You are absolutely right. There was domain check in Postfix:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
        reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
        check_recipient_access cdb:/etc/postfix/smtpd_recipient_restrictions,
        permit_mynetworks,
        reject_unauth_destination

  I've moved "permit_mynetworks" upper and queue quickly got purged.

> The second problem is when the domain is invalid, the MTA returns a 450
> (retryable error) instead of a 550 which would record a bounce.
>
> See some of the FAQs returned by
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?query=performance+mta&querytype=allkeywords&casefold=yes&req=search>
> for more info.

  Thanks.

> >> Why so many runners? Do you really need that much parallelism?
> >
> >  I thought they would process queue faster.
>
> Once you resolve your MTA issues, I think you'll find that one slice
> per queue will be adequate.

  Sure. Thank you very much!

--
 Grigory Batalov,