[Mailman-Users] Posts not showing in archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 8 20:59:46 CET 2008

Barry Finkel wrote:

>>And Anne Ramey replied:
>>Archrunner is running, other lists archived in that timeframe fine.
>>There is nothing in the error log.  The messages are listed as
>>successful posts and were delivered successfully.  There doesn't appear
>>to be anything waiting in the archive queue.  It is also just the
>>messages on the 3rd and 5th that didn't get in the archive.  The
>>message on the 7th (yesterday) is there.
>

>Do the missing messages have the same message-id as a message already
>in the archives?  I had an archive question in December, and Mark's
>reply was that a message will not be archived if its message-id
>already appears in the archive, as the second message is a duplicate
>of the first.  (RFC 2822 says that the message-id must be unique.)

Barry is correct. You can verify whether or not this is the reason by
looking in the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file. If
the 'missing' messages are not in the HTML archive because of
duplicate message-ids, they will be in the
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file and you can also
search for possible dup message-ids.

If the missing posts are not in the
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file, the only other
thing I can think of is that someone set the lists archive setting to
'No' prior to the message on the 3rd and it was set back to 'Yes'
after the 5th.

Note that even if you don't write the
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox because of
ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX being set to other than 2, you can still search the
post log for duplicate message-ids.