[Mailman-Users] UTF-8 question

Eva Isaksson eva at vihrealiitto.fi
Fri Jan 11 00:35:38 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro:
> I'm not certain about all of this, but there are places including
> Scrubber (removing attachments and flattening a message to plain text)
> and adding msg_header and msg_footer where the character set of a
> message can be coerced.

Yes, this seems to be the case. Our lists typically have umlaut
characters in their descriptions. Here's an example:

Using a test list, I was able to find out that a list that has
only us-ascii in its headers and msg_footer will keep the original
charset untouched. As soon as any of those has any utf-8 stuff
in it, it causes a forced charset=utf-8.

I had spent more than a week trying to figure this out,
so it's good to find out why this happens.

- Eva
--
 Eva Isaksson * eva at vihreat.fi * Eva.Isaksson at Helsinki.Fi
 http://www.helsinki.fi/~eisaksso/