[Mailman-Users] attachments in every email showing

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Jan 16 18:47:06 CET 2008

Liss wrote:
>  I've finally got my mailing list up and running, but no matter what I do,
>every single msg comes with a .txt attachment. I cant figure out how to shut
>it off!
>
>Any ideas?

Here is your problem:

The only way you can "fix" this is to stop using Microsoft Outlook
and/or post only in plain-text, not HTML.

This is not a problem with mailman, it is how Outlook interprets
multi-part MIME mail messages and the fact that mailman cannot
determine exactly where to insert a footer into an HTML message as it
can with a plain-text one. Mailman adds the footer for the list as a
separate MIME part of the message preserving the original in its own part.

Microsoft chose to show the additional parts of a multi-part message
as attachments even though they should be rendered in-line like
Eudora and Thunderbird and a number of other programs do. It is not
necessarily incorrect to treat such messages this way as the RFCs
governing it give no guidelines on displaying a message in this form.

This was also addressed on this list at least a couple of times in
the last week or so.

As Mark has both pointed out, see FAQ entry 4.039 for more detail:
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp

Dragon