[Mailman-Users] Same list name, different domains...

Sean Butler sean at 2sparrows.org
Wed Jan 16 19:48:19 CET 2008

I've searched around and the following thread is the closest to what
I need, but I am having trouble getting it to work:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-November/023712.html

I need to setup board at eagles.com and board at hrca.org, both of which
are running as virtual domains...  I'm running debian and postfix.

In /var/lib/mailman/data directory, I end up with two files:

aliases
virtual-mailman

In the aliases file, the original board at eagles looks like this:

# STANZA START: board
# CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
board:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post board"
board-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin board"
board-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces board"

And the new board at hrca looks like this:

# STANZA START: hrca_board
# CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
hrca_board:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post hrca_board"
hrca_board-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin
hrca_board"
hrca_board-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
hrca_board"

In the virtual mailman file, the original board at eagles looks likes this:

# STANZA START: board
# CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
board at eagles.com      		        board
board-admin at eagles.com        		board-admin
board-bounces at eagles.com		board-bounces

# STANZA START: hrca_board
# CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
hrca_board at hrca.org     	        hrca_board
hrca_board-admin at hrca.org       	hrca_board-admin
hrca_board-bounces at hrca.org      	hrca_board-bounces

 From the instructions in the thread I found, I thought I should just
modify the hrca_board at hrca.org to be board at hrca.org in the virtual
mailman file (and all the other ones like -admin, etc.), but that
doesn't seem to do it...

Also, if I run genaliases, then everything changes back to the
original state anyway.

Am I missing something???

As additional info, I have postfix set up with:

virtual_maps =  hash:/etc/postfix/db/virtual,
                 hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
              hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

Thanks for any info or ideas anyone can provide.

/Sean