[Mailman-Users] Same list name, different domains...

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jan 17 22:03:33 CET 2008

Sean Butler <sean at 2sparrows.org> wrote:

>I've searched around and the following thread is the closest to what
>I need, but I am having trouble getting it to work:
>
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-November/023712.html
>

>I need to setup board at eagles.com and board at hrca.org, both of which
>are running as virtual domains...  I'm running debian and postfix.
>
>In /var/lib/mailman/data directory, I end up with two files:
>
>aliases
>virtual-mailman
>

>In the aliases file, the original board at eagles looks like this:
>
># STANZA START: board
># CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
>board:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post board"
>board-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin board"
>board-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces board"
>
>And the new board at hrca looks like this:
>
># STANZA START: hrca_board
># CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
>hrca_board:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post hrca_board"
>hrca_board-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin
>hrca_board"
>hrca_board-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
>hrca_board"
>

>In the virtual mailman file, the original board at eagles looks likes this:
>
># STANZA START: board
># CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
>board at eagles.com      		        board
>board-admin at eagles.com        		board-admin
>board-bounces at eagles.com		board-bounces
>
># STANZA START: hrca_board
># CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
>hrca_board at hrca.org     	        hrca_board
>hrca_board-admin at hrca.org       	hrca_board-admin
>hrca_board-bounces at hrca.org      	hrca_board-bounces
>
> From the instructions in the thread I found, I thought I should just
>modify the hrca_board at hrca.org to be board at hrca.org in the virtual
>mailman file (and all the other ones like -admin, etc.), but that
>doesn't seem to do it...
>
>Also, if I run genaliases, then everything changes back to the
>original state anyway.
>
>Am I missing something???
>

>As additional info, I have postfix set up with:
>
>virtual_maps =  hash:/etc/postfix/db/virtual,
>                 hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
>              hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>

>Thanks for any info or ideas anyone can provide.

If the aliases file has

     # STANZA START: hrca_board
     # CREATED: Wed Jan 16 13:30:03 2008
     hrca_board at hrca.org     	        hrca_board

when you really want

     # STANZA START: board

then I think that the string "hrca_board" must be in the list
configuration file somewhere, and that is why you are getting that
string as the list name.  As you wrote, changing the aliases file
works, but the changes can be redone by Mailman.

Then, as I was typing this reply I noticed that if this list were named
"board", then you would have two lists with the same name.  Even if the
names are in different virtual domains, you cannot have two lists
with the same name in Mailman 2.1.9.  I am not sure if this restriction
will be removed in 2.1.10.  So, one list will have to remain
"hrca_board" if the other list is named "board".
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov