[Mailman-Users] List regularly displays junk

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 17 23:03:46 CET 2008

Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> Regularly, people post documents in some other encoding, and they get
> posted to the list as garbage.  Message source shows:

> id m0HF0UZX032101

This header was added by an MTA at chak-chak.pauahtun.net which did the
conversion.  It is unlikely that the conversion per se is the cause of
the problem.

This header is added by your MUA to keep track of whether the message is
Old/New/Read/Unread, etc.

> I don't think these are HTML messages that people are posting, just
> differently encoded (it's an international list).
>
> I'd like to give the list-owners some advice (and I do think they'll be
> amenable, providing it's good advice;-) ).  So what are the best
> settings to tell them to use?

It is not clear that Mailman is even involved in the problem. It is not
even clear what the nature of the problem is.

In order to even guess at what the problem is, I would need to see all
the headers and an excerpt of the 'garbage'.