[Mailman-Users] surely can install mailman without root?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jan 18 16:57:25 CET 2008

On 1/18/08, jidanni at jidanni.org wrote:

>  I see. See ya. Bye.

Mailman is one of the most powerful and flexible mailing list
management systems in the world, but it is not the right answer for
everyone.  If you're not a suitable candidate for using Mailman, then
I'm sorry we can't help you, but we can't just wave a magic wand and
make everything perfect for you instantly.

>  My mom just spent $400 for me for 5 years at Dreamhost. What's the
>  worst that could happen? All the files on my account getting deleted?

Mailman just wasn't designed to be installed that way.  If you need a
tool that can be installed that way, you need to look elsewhere.

>  Imagine me not being to stop bad bots via .htaccess.
>  Imagine all mail going straight to the moderator queue with no
>  .procmail etc. filtering. That is what I'm worried about with only web
>  access.

I have full privileged command-line access to the python.org servers,
because I am the currently active member of the Python.org Postmaster
Team, as well as the Mailmn Site Administrator and co-moderator of
the various mailman-* mailing lists.

Frankly, I do almost all of my Mailman administration via the web.
Typically, the only times I ever need to log onto the server and
access things via the command line is when there is a problem with a
particular user not being able to send e-mail to us and I need to go
do some deep searching of the MTA logs on the server and
compare/contrast those with the Mailman logs.

>  BK> You're welcome to join the translation team, if you like.
>
>  My expertise is in just reporting lots of minor bugs.

Apparently, you can also read at least one other language as well as
English, so if you want to complain about the support that Mailman
provides for other languages it would be pretty hypocritical of you
to avoid contributing your skills and knowledge towards increasing
the quality of the translations.

We've got version 2.1.10 waiting in the wings, currently in the
process of having the translations updated for other languages.  This
is an ideal opportunity for you to help yourself as well as to help
others.

Or, you could just keep complaining.