[Mailman-Users] surely can install mailman without root?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Jan 19 03:37:48 CET 2008

On 1/19/08, jidanni at jidanni.org wrote:

>  Dudes, out of curiosity why can't mailman be totally installed and run
>  without involving root? Indeed maybe it would be a safer and more
>  portable installation.

Feel free to give it a try and report back to us.

>  E.g., who cares what MTA is installed when one can just use:
>
>  #Untested partial .procmailrc for a mailman list on a catchall mailbox
>  #for a domain. No need to have root adjust some MTA's configuration!

Okay, so now you've just made Mailman 100% dependant on having
procmail installed, as opposed to not really caring what MTA may be
installed, and being able to work with multiple different MTAs.

>  There, see, I have rewritten your thinking: indeed a totally
>  non-root-involved installation keeps one insulated from (and meddling
>  with) the underlying details. Yes, rewritten your thinking, all
>  without testing. Hope it really works. "What could go wrong?"

No, you haven't totally rewritten anything, except maybe your own
memory of how you magically improve anything you touch.