[Mailman-Users] Ghost Moderator Requests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 24 18:10:46 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:
> At 06:10 PM 1/21/2008, you wrote:
>
>> Somewhere, there is another test/backup/incompletely deleted/whatever
>> Mailman installation that is sending these. Check the Received: headers
>> of the message to see at which server it originates and then
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "at which server it originates". Are you
> talking about the server that is sending the mailman mail (i.e. the
> mailman server) or the server that sent the email(s) that require
> attention? If the latter, there is no way to tell since the message is
> from the mailman server.

I mean the Mailman server that sent the 'n <listname> moderator requests
waiting' notice, which may not be the same physical box as the Mailman
server that supports your active list..

The chain of Received: headers in the notification you receive will
identify every server MTA through which the mail passed on it's way to
you. I am suggesting that these messages might originate from a Mailman
installation on a different box and the earliest Received: headers in
the chain might help you identify the box.

For example, here are the Received: headers (and a few other
interspersed headers) from the message to which I'm replying:

 by isp.att.net (frfwmhc03) with SMTP
 id <20080123233455H0300id6ioe>; Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:34:57 +0000

These tell us that the message originated from your machine at
adsl-34-248-212.asm.bellsouth.net (IP 67.34.248.212). A similar analysis
of the Received: headers of the notice you received will indicate from
which physical box the message originated.

>>  find / -name config.pck -print
>
> /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/mailman.pck
> /var/lib/mailman/lists/<my real list>/<my real list>.pck

Assuming you actually mean the results of the above find were

/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck
/var/lib/mailman/lists/<my real list>/config.pck

and nothing else, this is additional evidence that the notices originate
from a different box.