[Mailman-Users] Efficient handling of cross-posting

Mikael Hansen mikaelhansen2 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 17:41:11 CET 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 15:40, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> What this means is that in Mailman 3.0, there is knowledge of
> subscriptions across mailing lists, so that we could do better cross-
> posting, though this isn't implemented yet.  For example, you could
> say that the 'musicians' mailing list roster is composed of the
> rosters for the 'guitar-players' mailing list and the 'bass-players'
> mailing list, plus a bunch of directly subscribed multi-
> instrumentalists.  Mailman figures all that out when it decides who
> the recipients of the message are.

This is quite interesting. I don't believe in duplication and as such
not in cross-posting or even better cross-posting, and so the above is
interesting to me because I admittedly was thinking along these lines,
as I started reading this thread.

So I enjoy the roster concept which is outlined. Still, it seems odd
to me that the list server software can adequately decide on the
process of eliminating duplicates. To me, the roster concept implies
that duplicates should not have been sent by list members in the first
place.

In other words, a proper roster structure discourages any need for
cross-posting. It's all about expectation, I think. The expectation
for instance that if a guitar-players list exists, a guitar-players
discussion should not take place, just or too, on the general
musicians list.

But when the expectation is not in place, an approach such as a list
server's elimination of duplicates appears to an awkward uphill
battle. In short, I wonder if the suggested feature will do more harm
than good.

Mikael