[Mailman-Users] Mailman post requires approval(Receiving 100 mailsdaily)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 4 17:53:41 CEST 2008

bijayant kumar wrote:

>I am facing very strange situation. I am using Mailman on centos machine. It was running fine from few months. Suddenly my users complaints that they are not receiving mails on the list. I just restarted the mailman service, and suddenly they received 1 months old mails. I did not understand the reason. Why the mails has not been delivered earlier though mailman service was running. Why the mails stucked? Now how to tackle this situation, should i have to restart mailman once daily?

See <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9> for info on troubleshooting no mail
delivery.

>One more problem i am facing. Whenever i am restarting mailman i am getting 100 mails From default list "Mailman" stating
>Mailman post requires approval
>
>Subject: Cron <mailman at server> mailman /var/mailman/cron/gate_news
>Reason:  Post by non-member to a members-only list
>
>/bin/sh: line 1: mailman: command not found

Your mailman crontab is not in the correct format. You may have two
crontabs, one of which is working and one of which is not.

You have a 'system' mailman crontab which is intended to be installed
in /etc/cron.d/mailman, and it is installed (probably by crontab -u
mailman) in /var/spool/cron/mailman. The two crontabs have different
formats. The system crontab has an extra field for the effective user.
When you install it as a user crontab, that field (containing mailman)
is taken as the command. It fails, and cron mails the failure to
'mailman' which is the post by non-member to your mailman list.
gate_news is run every 5 minutes, so you get one every 5 minutes.

If you have /etc/cron.d/mailman installed, just remove
/var/spool/cron/mailman, either

rm /var/spool/cron/mailman

or

crontab -u mailman -r

If you don't have /etc/cron.d/mailman installed then just

mv /var/spool/cron/mailman /etc/cron.d/mailman

>I have turned off the moderation bit and deleted all these mails also. But whenever i am restarting the mailman service, i am getting 100 of such mails.
>How to avoid getting these mails. Can i delete these notifications.
>Please help me, i am in very tough situation.

Fixing the crontab issue will eliminate those notices, but you still
have the problem of why mail is not delivered until you restart. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.