[Mailman-Users] Inaccessible public archives

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sat Jul 5 10:29:40 CEST 2008

At 6:59 PM -0700 7/4/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>Bill Christensen wrote:
>>
>>I just moved my Mailman/Apache/Postfix server to a new hard drive,
>>and in the process managed to make the public archives inaccessible.
>>Private archives work fine, as does everything else as far as I can
>>tell.
>>
>>I suspect that the problem has to do with my renaming the root hard
>>drive (though of course the paths would typically still be
>>/usr/local/mailman/ which accounts for most everything still working).
>>
>>I've tried switching to private archives and back again in the hope
>>of building a new working symlink, but there's no difference.  I made
>>no changes to the Apache config file, and all the paths and rules
>>there look like they should work.
>>
>>Any ideas where else I should search for a fix?
>

>What does Apache say when you try to access a public archive? What's in
>Apache's error log?

Symbolic link not allowed.

>Is SELinux or some other security policy management involved?

nope.

>What are the ownership and permissions of
>/usr/local/mailman/archives/private ?  In particular, is it either
>owned by the apache user or o+x ?

they were were

drwxrws---	nobody	mailman	private
drwxrwsr-x	billc	mailman	public

I looked on the old hd and found them set as

drwxrwx---	billc	mailman	private
drwxrwxr-x	billc	mailman	public

I tried a perms fix, but that didn't do the  trick.

So I tried changing them to that.  Bad idea, now I'm getting a "we've
hit a bug in mailman 2.1.9..." message when logging in to the web
interface.   I tried another perms fix, and the symptoms are
unchanged.

Help, Mr Wizard!  I have no idea how to set an "rws" to get it back
to broken but generally functional.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>