[Mailman-Users] slow sending

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jul 10 01:06:49 CEST 2008

Knabe, Troy wrote:
> My messages sent to lists are being placed in the mailq and taking 5-15
> minutes to be delivered.  I use Sophos's PureMessage for Spam/Anti-virus
> scanning so part of sendmail config hands the message off to a milter,
> but then it is being placed in the mailq instead of delivering the
> message.  Is this normal, it seems my messages to this list are delivered
> faster than to my own.  I am using sendmail for my mta.

Sounds to me like you're doing anti-spam/anti-virus filtering after the
mailing list.  Don't do that.

Do all your filtering on inbound, and then set up another instance of the
MTA with all filtering turned off, and listening only to a certain
designated private high-numbered port on the loopback/127.0.0.1 interface,
and then set up Mailman to use this second instance of your MTA for sending
all outbound mail.

I'm sure this is covered in the FAQ.