[Mailman-Users] Hard drive is full

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 11 03:18:06 CEST 2008

Maickel Pandie wrote:

>Hi...
>
>It's been 3 weeks since I launched my mailing list server using Mailman +
>Postfix, 2 days ago my server stoped sending mail, when I search the problem
>from log it telling me that the problem is disk drive is full. When I
>restart my server I can't login into server because there are no free space
>anymore in disk drive. First time this server work, it only consume 6 GB.
>Now my 40 GB hard drive is full.
>
>Is it right that Mailman save all email or attachment file in server
>machine? if it's right what can I do to clear all email or attachment file
>in server machine?

Yes, Mailman archives list posts, but the list owner can turn off
archiving for a list, and the site admin can disable archiving
completely by setting

ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = -1

in mm_cfg.py (see Defaults.py for a description of all the possible
settings).

However, if Mailman's archives are the culprit, you are accumulating
over 10 GB of archive data per week. Granted, Mailman isn't too
efficient at minimizing archive space usage, but even given that there
might by three copies of an attachment in the archives, one scrubbed
from the archive, one scrubbed from the digest and one in the
listname.mbox file, 10 GB is over 1000 posts per week of over 2MB each
in size. My mind boggles.