[Mailman-Users] mailmanctl holds ssh window open

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 14 05:47:34 CEST 2008

Rohan Carly wrote:

>I am experiencing a problem when I restart Mailman that I don't understand.
>
>If I login as root via ssh and then run:
>	/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start
>
>It says "Starting Mailman's master qrunner." and return to a shell prompt.
>
>Fine. But when I exit, the terminal window is stuck open. This doesn't happen
>when restarting other daemons on my system such as Apache.
>
>If I restart Mailman from the console and then exit, it behaves as expected.
>Also restarting from the console in X works normally. The problem seems to be
>limited to ssh / Putty (windows client).
>
>Can anyone tell me what's going on?

mailmanctl forks copies of itself which become the master watcher and
the qrunners. These forked copy processes are also attached to your
ssh pseudo tty and sshd waits for them to terminate before closing the
connection. Of course, they don't terminate (we hope) so you
eventually close the connection from your side, but I think your sshd
process still waits.

What is your OS? If you install a /etc/init.d/mailman script (see
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node42.html>) and start mailman
via the service command, I think you avoid this issue.