[Mailman-Users] discard_these_nonmembers

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Tue Jul 15 23:36:00 CEST 2008

Aside #1: Feature Request
Can there be a link to the FAQ or other documentation on the Mailman
administration page used by listowners at their ISP?

Aside #2: Is there a place to see what updates have been made in various MM
versions?  I can't find it at the wiki.

Question:

I'm trying to edit discard_these_nonmembers.  Sometimes when I've done it
in the past I made a syntax error and got an error msg.  But now I'm
getting the error msg no matter what I do.  Even just trying to submit the
original text.  I am guessing something changed in this version of MM, but
I don't know.

I got this syntax from Mark here a while ago.  I use it to automatically
discard spam from certain domains:

Example: ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?heatherandhailey\.com$

When I get a new domain to discard, I cut and paste one of the other domain
lines and swap out the new domain and change .com to .org or whatever if
needed.

I'm trying to create this line:
^[^@]+@(.*\.)?hunt4loot\.com$

But then I get the error:
Error: Bad email address for option discard_these_nonmembers:
^[^@]+@(.*\.)?heatherandhailey\.com$ ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?myloveschool\.com$
[and so on, listing every line in my box, including plain email addresses
with no funny characters.]

When this has happened before, I remove the new line(s), resubmit and the
error disappears.  Then I carefully put my new info back, one line at a
time, until I find the error and fix it.

But this time, even resubmiting the old info results in an error msg.

I thought maybe it didn't like some old code I had in there that turned out
to be ineffective but harmless.  So I tried cutting it but it still gives
me the error msg.

The only changes I've made since the last time I got it to work have been
to use the auto-discard option on the moderation page.

I can post the entire code I have if anyone wants, but it's rather long and
I didn't want to flood the list.

My ISP recently upgraded from version 2.1.9 to version 2.1.11.

Thanks,
Cyndi