[Mailman-Users] newlist auto-generate password

hone+mailman at oak.cats.ohiou.edu hone+mailman at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Jul 16 19:25:18 CEST 2008

--On Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:49 AM -0700 Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:

> When you create a list from the WebUI, you have the option of having
> Mailman generate the password itself, in which case it will get  included
> in the e-mail message that is sent to the listowner.

Yes, that is a really nice feature.

> The CLI interface is not going to auto-generate that e-mail message,  so
> by default it is not going to auto-generate that password either.

When I add a new list via the CLI, I must enter a password and it is sent
in the email to the list admin:

	The mailing list `cgilist' has just been created for you.
	The following is some basic information about your
	mailing list.

	Your mailing list password is:

The new list owner can change the password via the web page if that is
easier for them. It would be easier for me to not have to ask for a
password from the list admin for every list I create.

Don Hone
Ohio University